Friday, July 23, 2010

The birth-tub is here...

and I am so ready for this baby to arrive!

we have caused quite a stir here in the condo complex. In fact, not 10 minutes after the midwives made it upstairs with the tub, I had people knocking on the door wondering if I was in labor yet. I'm planning on putting a do not disturb sign on the door when the time comes.

of course, now that my house is the cleanest it has been in nearly 9 months, and the majority of my little projects are done the baby is going to wait. She'll wait until we have eaten all the groceries I have stocked up and there is a big pile of dirty dishes and laundry everywhere. and on a Monday.

I had two dreams about the baby last night. The first one I had twin girls, but we forgot to call Garrett. He arrived later in a police car.

The second dream was much more pleasant. We were watching tv and the baby decided to arrive right then so we delivered it and then called the midwives.

I would find it more alarming (in real life) to not have Garrett present rather than the midwives. If things did move that fast, then most likely everything is just fine (just think of all those stories of women having babies in cars on the way to the hospital) we have read up on Emergency childbirth, and have midwives on call to give us assistance as they rush over!

There is just so much fear surrounding childbirth in our society. I find that sad. Yes, things can go wrong. Yes, there are some pretty scary complications that can happen, but, the majority of the time things go just fine.

In fact, in reflecting on all of the "I nearly died in childbirth" stories that people are so delighted in telling to an obviously pregnant woman, I have heard only ONE that was a true complication in childbirth...one in which the placenta was separating before the baby. TRUE complication, very scary. The rest have been stories of medically caused complications, for example:
Nearly bleeding to death afterwards because she was left alone in the room for hours still actively bleeding and the nurses didn't answer her calls. (caused by the staff's inattention, in not making sure the bleeding had stopped or re-started as the case may be)
Having previously high blood pressure drop so low they had trouble stabilizing her after the epidural was administered (a rare but noted complication of an epidural)
Dying after anesthesia was administered. (due to a mistake on the part of the anesthesiologist...the person who told this story insisted this is why childbirth is still dangerous)
I have my own complications related to the drugs I chose to take the first time around and some extreme difficulty healing after a vacuum assisted birth. (which was most likely caused by my inability to push effectively in the supine position and my paranoid reaction to the drugs which kept me from squatting, and an allergic reaction to the stitching materials used to mend the tear caused by said assistance)
The thing is, actual un-interfered with natural childbirth is MUCH safer than one where there are lots of interventions and drugs. Most of modern childbirth horror stories I have heard involve at least one intervention.
Natural endorphins and oxytocin produced by your own body during labor have absolutely no negative side effects. Artificial pain medications and Oxytocin introduced into your body's system have documented possible side effects.
I am grateful for modern medicine, and will not hesitate to use it if necessary, but I honestly believe that there is not much to fear in childbirth...IF you are educated on complications and their warning signs and IF you are willing to get the help you need when you need it! so ladies, Educate yourselves, Empower yourselves, speak up for the changes you want! Medical opinion changes, for example a VBAC is now recommended by ACOG rather than a repeat c-section in most cases. make sure you are up on the latest trends, be your own advocate!

I do feel quite strongly about these things. I do not mean to offend, or belittle those who have had bad experiences, or those who are in need of close medical supervision during complex pregnancies. I am simply saying, if you are low-risk and blessed with health, don't be afraid to seek the birth you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment