Friday, July 3, 2009

Beginning the journey

At last, both of my little ones are down for a nap, and I have about 10 mins of "quiet time" to myself. I have been doing a lot of reflecting lately on how cluttered life can get, both physically with possessions and activities as well as mentally and emotionally. This year I am attempting to Simplify my life, and learn how to be satisfied with what I have...hence the title of my blog "Simple--Satisfaction"

When I think about living simply it conjures up images of rolling country side and sheep scattered about, a large flock of hens scratching through a garden, long lines of freshly laundered linens drying in the sun, along with lots of children running about climbing trees and swimming in creeks.
I do not have that.
I have quite the opposite of that.
We live in a condo, an upstairs condo, with a sun-deprived balcony in a smallish city that has more than its share of violent crime, foreclosures, and the distinct honor of being one of the top five "most miserable places to live" in the USA. We do, however, have a cat, and two beautiful little boys, and I am the proud owner of a mostly sturdy drying rack which will hold exactly one small load of laundry at a time.

This lack of the ideal setting will not stop me in the journey towards simplicity, however. I believe that a simple life can be lived anywhere under almost any circumstances. So here I stand the woman living in the fine line between city and suburbia seeking out what Simplicity means to me, and to my family.

The current focus is "Clutter" I am going to go through my house and get rid of the clutter. not just bag it up and set it by the door to sit for months on end before I get back down to the Goodwill, but actually bag it and give it away.

Today I cleaned out the medicine cabinet and tossed quite a few empty bottles and expired medicines. I also re-organized the area under the bathroom sink and found I had more than enough shampoo, sunblock, toothpaste and cleaning supplies to last me through the Apocalypse. In adititon to thet, I had an overwhelming feeling of peace and joy, and need i say, Satisfaction? Now when I open my cabinet I am no longer privy to a hail of perscription bottles, I am instead greeted with cheerful rows of boxes and bottles organized on shelves, one for each family member.

So, what are you going to do today? What one simple step can you take to de-clutter your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment