Friday, July 24, 2009

NCC--1701

Things are settling down around here. It seems the plumbing issue is resolved for now. Plans are going forward to fix it permanently. I am still de-cluttering and cleaning out my home, and have been quite happy with the results. My book collection has been minimized. We got rid of one shelf. and my wonderful husband Garrett used the pieces to build me a smalll shelf for the kitchen, which now holds my sewing machine, project supplise, Home management binder as well as my plant and radio. The front hall closet now has space to hold the vaccuum, The giant pile of laundry now has a home in seperate sorting baskets its making it easy to grab a load and wash! The boys room is now free of all of the excess junk we were storing in there. It feels so open and bright now!

Today was Garrett's birthday. We have had a rough couple of weeks and decided to keep things simple, so I surprised him with a cake. Some of my best birhtday memories were of mom handmaking me a cake so I thought it would be a nice gift for him. I was feeling creative after watching the Food Network yesterday so I made him the Starship Enterprise. I don't know how to use fondant, so I did it with Grandma's frosting recipe. I was quite pleased with the results as was he. Here is a quick step by step photo montage...






First I started with cake! I used an 8 in circle and an 8 in square.














I covered a piece of cardboard and my inverted cake pan with foil, as well as two hot cocoa packages. As this would be a 3D creation.





Then I shaped and placed the cake.











Lots and lots of frosting









I used store bought frosting in a spray can for the detail work...It was terrible! So I put it in a piping bag, it helped but not by much....next time I will just settle for (home-made) gray instead of the black.












Here it is with the Nacelles




















Ta Da!













The final look, as it goes down in flames!










Overall it was a great little suprise, and all it took was creativity and time. Garrett has already put in his order for his 30th--he wants the Battlestar Gallactica. Thankfully I will have a couple of years to figure that one out!!

We will round out the birthday celebration by going out to see a local minor-league baseball game tonight. The boys will have a great time bonding over that, I hope!

4 comments:

  1. Impressive and very cool! I showed it to Bryan during lunch, and he had me forward it to his email account:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, you should make something for the kids' birthday again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning on it Sharon! I think I will do the 3D bear my mom did for our first birthdays for S. this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, your cake inspired something in me, and I decided to get brave and make a special cake for Anna's 2nd birthday. If the in-laws hadn't been here, there is NO WAY I would have had time to do it. I am attempting to make "Dog" from Word World. He required the baking of 5 round cake pans, but I finally have him pieced together. Tomorrow? Icing:-) You can look at Facebook on Monday for pictures:-)

    ReplyDelete