Sunday, October 25, 2009

Caught with my apron on...

or off... whichever is worse in your eyes! So, I cheated a bit on my media fast. My netflix movie came in this weekend and I sat down to watch it...with a mountain of laundry to fold. At least that is what I told myself as I ignored the call of the kitchen and the two days worth of dirty dishes...and the toys on the floor...and the piles of dirty laundry in the hall.... So there I am indulging myself in a costumed drama, haphazardly folding laundry, and my doorbell rings. It's my new neighbor who (I had forgotten all about) came over as invited! Still dressed up from church.

OOPS

I stood at the door in a panic, tried to do a quick re-schedule, realized how rude it was and then invited her in anyway. She was very gracious and we had a lovely chat, as I scrambled about picking items up so she had a place to sit and madly hoping she didn't find my stretch-pants and over sized eighties sweater a bit too ridiculous. I just kept thinking of my mother and how she got dressed first thing in the morning and always had the house clean by noon...

I think I should do this more often. Having people over that is. I was surprised to learn that we have alot in common....We went to the same high school, are both newly-weds, homemakers, bakers and home cooks, followers of Jesus, we share some of the same rather unusual theological viewpoints, aspire to be better domestic divas, we even know alot of the same people....
It does strike me as odd all that we have in common...I often lament the fact that there are no other young moms/homemakers in my complex as I spend most of my time here as I am still without a car. It seems this slightly awkward start to a friendship just might be an answer to a prayer I didn't know I needed.

Tomorrow I will get up early, and continue my media fast, and get dressed immediately, and clean my house as per my Home-Management Binder schedule---and I will continue to do my usual routine so I can be prepared next time I invite someone over and they actually come.

1 comment:

  1. Cool, a new friend! Mommies need those. :) I love having people over...it forces me to clean. :)

    ReplyDelete