Sunday, October 18, 2009

The great TV turn-off

The other day as I was scrambling about attempting to clean the house up before bed, I became aware of something....the radio that I depended on to keep me upbeat as I did my chores...was just noise. really annoying distracting sounds jarring me as I attempted to get things done. So I turned it off. And I turned off the TV, and anything else I could find that added to the audio confusion.
The sound of silence.
My entire being relaxed, and I was able to finish up what I needed to do, with a far more cheerful outlook. I have now embarked upon a "40 day media-fast" That's right, I am not watching, listening to or reading anything of my own free will. I have even gone so far as to put all of my library books away...some only half-read! That was soooo hard! There are a few exceptions 1. I will continue reading my bible and the study book I have been going through. 2. I will read the boys their story books. 3. I will watch a tv show or movie if Garret specifically requests it. 4. Classical music or the kid's CD's are ok as well. 5. I will read anything necessary for my volunteer work.
It has been 3 days so far, and I have only slipped up once...reading a bit of the news while I was balancing my checkbook online. I can't tell you how relaxed I feel! I have had so much more free time as well! Garrett knows what I am doing, and actually hasn't requested I watch anything so far...but tonight is our usual "TV" night in which we catch up on episodes online. You know, I always thought He was the one turning on the tv, but as it turns out, I usually request to watch something....and then it just stays on. Shame on me!

I will continue to updated you on how things are going...I can tell this may be a bumpy ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment