Sunday, December 6, 2009

The end of the Media Fast

ok, well, it ended about a week ago, but I thought I should post a few reflections here>

Reflection #1. turning off the tv/talk radio brings an instant peaceful feeling into ones home.

Reflection #2. I really really, really like tv.

Reflection #3. I can get so much accomplished if I just focus on the task at hand. For example, folding the laundry as it dries and immediately putting it away, as opposed to letting it pile up onto the couch then settling down to watch an episode of CSI and sloooooowly folding it.

Reflection #4. I didn't miss much. other than a story arc or two, but nothing of a real, lasting value was missed out on.

Reflection #5. Simplicity is much better achieved without constant "noise" urging on my fleshly desires....for more food, more land, better cleaning supplies, more useless political debate.

So there it is in a nutshell. I was also surprised at how much of the Bible I was able to read thru...I am reading it chronologically and am in the midst of 2 Samuel/psalms. Need to get back to that.

I did enjoy the experience, however found myself at constant war with it at the same time. I am choosing to continue with a "partial" media fast from here on. I have just been making the decision to leave the tv or pc or radio off. untll my work is "done" (ha!) and then I make sure to have some sort of busy activity at hand...crocheting a new hat for myself at the moment. I am really enjoying this lessened dependency on outside stimulation!

1 comment:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

    I too have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

    Mostly it is a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

    Sincerely,
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete