Monday, August 17, 2009

Pillow covers

I finally did it! I am down to the last few items on my to do list for the living room. Just the other day I woke up at 5 am, and, after stumbling about in a muddled cloud while attempting to fix a cup of coffee I realized how quiet it was in the house. It was just perfect to do some sewing. All of my previous attempts to do so while the boys are awake simply ended int frustration and tears--from all of us! So the entire project took roughly and hour and fifteen minutes, and that includes the time to rummage about and find my materials and set up. I did not clean up. In fact, I still have not. I probably should as J. is fascinated with the sewing machine and will not stay away. So here are the pictures. I don't have a pattern, in fact I don't even measure half the time. I just kind of eyeball it. so far it has worked for me. I also did a set of matching curtain tie-backs but didn't take pictures of the process.

Here is the before shot. As you can see, the pillow is fraying and does not actually match the couch. When we bought it at the thrift store it appeared to be a lovely tan with green undertones. When we got it home it had changed into this red-brown color that doesn't quite go.


Here I am, hard at work on the kitchen floor in my pj's and robe, as you can see the kids have been playing here and I still have not cleaned up--just so you know I am NOT perfect! (note: I just realized that this pic is actually of me working on the tiebacks, but I don't know how to re-arrange things so I will just pretend it goes here)
This is how I cut the cloth: I folded it over into thirds, laid the pillow on top, and cut the edges so they fit around. Note the perfect straight lines ;)


This is just to show that it will, indeed fit. I am creating a pillow-sham type covering, with overlapping fabric in the back instead of zippers or buttons--which are beyond my ability at such an early hour.

Sewing. I used a total of 4 pins to hold the overlap together. I really really hate pinning even if it does make things easier. Note the entirely spotless work area...not! I'm working on keeping the table cleared off, but for now it's my only work area.


Here is the cover, half on, the other half comes around and will overlap it a bit.


Ta da! all on, and it fits just perfectly! The other is just the same (I had 2 pillows, but only took pictures of the first one.)


Here it is, on the couch. I must say it looks much better. I will, eventually, put some embroidery on it, but for now I need to finish unpacking the house, and finish up crocheting a baby blanket for a very pregnant friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment