Thursday, March 18, 2010

Doing things as grandma would have...

Or should I say Great- or even Great-Great grandma, providing of course that she had an electric washing machine, and that, indeed, she allowed it to do its thing without first manually filling it with buckets of water collected the previous day and hand-agitating it every time the cycle changes--like two grandmas i happen to know.
sigh

I want to cultivate in myself the skills attitudes and do-it-yourself tenacity and work ethic our fore mothers had, with, of course just a few modern modifications. I love my washer. I will not give it up. I will however, hang my clothing out to dry and mix up my own laundry detergent.

I feel like I have had a crash course in some of the harder aspects of the past. Garrett's been gone these two weeks and I can now appreciate first-hand the emotional roller-coaster a lone woman went through while her husband went off to war, or elsewhere following the work. Of course, my hunny is only a 20 minute drive away, and me and the boys do get to see him several times a week, but those times without his humor and help just seem so much duller, and more difficult.

Currently we are sleep deprived, and I will be putting the kids down EARLY. I was hoping for 7, but they're pretty wound up due to the time change. Maybe 8. Then I'm crashing. To heck with the housework. I need sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment