Thursday, August 19, 2010

the art of relaxation

There really is a knack to relaxing guilt free. For quite some time I have struggled with this concept. I was raised by a very high-energy industrious mom, who always seemed to keep everything together...and here I am, very low-energy and, well, just not nearly as efficient. Enter the self-imposed guilt.
But you know what, I'm not my mom. Nor am I Martha Stewart, Julia Child or June Cleaver. I am me.
I want to be me. I am truly starting to enjoy just lazing about the house, bonding with the new baby and playing with my boys. I think I will keep doing this. Hang the housework.
The house has carried on without me, thanks to a few dear friends and family members...everyone does a chore now when they come to visit the baby. It is working quite well. Too bad I only have a week left on my "no housework, no lifting, no going downstairs, no working" ban. I could get used to this.

So, enter reflections on my routines. Here are the new rules. I WILL take coffee/tea breaks when the kids have their snack. at least 15 mins of doing something just for me. At nap time, I will nap if tired, or work on a fun project. NO chores or balancing the checkbook. Fun stuff. One video a day will be used, guilt-free, when I need time to do something...like cook dinner without two toddlers trying to hover about my legs. Outside play time everyday...until the weather gets too bad, and then off to the mall for inside play time! Grocery shopping will be done on Sundays, EARLY so I can leave the boys at home, and Garrett can haul them up. I will stop by Starbucks and enjoy a coffee on the trip. I will actually spend some of my spending money each week. If it is not spent, it will be removed in cash and tucked away for a later date. I will allow myself to pause and enjoy the moment wherever we are at.

now, off I go to snuggle down on the futon and finish toy story 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment