Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Adventures in eating

I have just sent both the boys to their room with a bowl of popcorn...thereby breaking my new rule and basically asking for popcorn to make it into every corner of the room...but it was the ONLY room I have yet to clean/vacuum and also I wanted some time online. =)

so, Yesterday's menu:

Breakfast: cereal and milk
Snack: animal crackers, chocolate pudding (for me!)
Lunch: PB&J
Dinner: Pesto, leftovers

Today's menu:

Breakfast: Frozen waffles
Snack: popcorn
Lunch: red beans and rice
Dinner: Lasagna (if my cottage cheese is still good) mozzarella cheese is new (W)

We went to our WIC appointment yesterday, and swung by their store where we stocked up on fresh dairy products. Actually, due to the new coupon arrangements, in order to get enough cheese to both make a lasagna, and quesadillas later I wound up with 4 1/2 gallons of milk...and needing to find recipes/reasons to use it! Perhaps a nice, creamy soup? More yogurt? Maybe I'll attempt a cheese!

My yogurt was an utter failure, will have to buy a small container and try again later.
I am baking bread today, using the Challah recipe Garrett really likes and turning it into a loaf, hoping he will enjoy it for his sandwiches. His palette is extremely brand-loyal. I think it came from a lifetime of eating only rainbow white bread, I am happy he had some sort of stability in his childhood, but also sometimes wish Grandma couldn't have afforded the name brands all the time. We are slowly getting healtier and our goal is to move to all home cooked foods...eventually. I'm thinking about getting some cheap bakeware at the thrift store so I can make some meals ahead and freeze them. Also wondering how to make sure baked goods don't take on that fresh-from-the-freezer taste...I love baking breads but want a good dough I can holdover.

More research for me! woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment