Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mixed success

Yesterday's beans and rice was a huge hit with the kiddos. I simmered red beans for about 1 1/2 hours, then added an equal amount of brown rice. I seasoned it last-miunite wtih lime juice, cumin, oregeno and a touch of chili powder. I found an avacado in my crisper so I topped it with that and a bit of cheese. We had it for dinner as well as my cottage cheese was no good for the lasagne. So that was good!

We are trying the yogurt again, with a slightly different recipe and we're doing it in a crock pot. I don't know if it will work, as it called for 1/2 gallon of milk, and I wasn't willing to make that much, so I used half the milk and all the yogurt starter....it already looks better than the last batch!

Garrett LOVED the bread I made, in fact he said it was the best sandwich bread he had ever tasted! I am absolutely thrilled, both because this version is just so much healthier (even though it is made from white flour, im planning on phasing in whole wheat slowly) without all of those preservatives, but it is about 1/4 the cost of his favorite brand. So, I love to bake and I'll be making a loaf a week when he is working, maybe more if he starts using it for toast or snacks.

We wandered down to the grocery store this morning, and I was quite pleased to spend my WIC produce coupons, I paid about 71 cents and came out with 2lbs strawberries, 1lb cherry tomatoes, 3 lbs onions, 1lb organic carrots, 2 cucumbers, 2 lbs apples and 2lbs bananas. I could have done better, but Garrett was really wanting the strawberries and tomatoes (Well, so was I) and they can be pricey this time of year.

Today's menu:
Breakfast: scrambled eggs, frozen waffle
Lunch: PB&J, oranges (free from neighbor) 1/2 donut (treat from store)
Dinner: Easy Quiche
basically, fried onions, potatoes, carrots peas and eggs. no crust, and minimal prep!

1 comment:

  1. When you phase in the wheat flour, don't add a lot...when you use all wheat it makes a VERY dense bread! :(

    ReplyDelete