Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The "best" mom I can be...

My darling hubby has a real problem with the term "best" in his mind there is always room for improvement, which can be a very good thing, never settling for something lest than your whole effort...or at least not calling it your best when it really wasn't. For simplicity's sake I will be using the word "best" but in the context that it means the best at this moment with constant striving to do better.

I realized something yesterday. well, I may have realized it many times before but I seem to be one of those slow-changing stubborn types. I can't look at other women to be my example of the "perfect" mother, housekeeper, cook, wife, ect. God has made me utterly unique. I cannot be as organized and prepared as Kate Gosselyn, nor can I be as peacefully serene as Michelle Duggar. I can be me. I can be the joyful, nutty homemaker who would rather snuggle with her kiddos and watch "toy story 2" for the 15th time this month than go mop the floor for the third time. I am now endeavoring to be the "Best" Wife, mother and homemaker that God wants me to be. I can be inspired by the examples of other impressive women, but I will no longer strive to BE them.

We are out of olive oil and I am truly annoyed. It was one ingredient I didn't stock up on, as it can go rancid if on the shelf too long, but alas, now I can't make lots of my favorite foods! We use Olive oil in place of almost all other oils...with the exception of a rare deep-fry now and then. sigh. I may just break down and buy some as it is on sale at Safeway this week, and we can easily walk down there with the stroller and cart our "haul" back. Chicken is also on an incredible sale $.99 for FRESH cut up chicken.

Today's menu:
Pancakes and fried egg

Not sure what to make for snack

Tomato soup, chicken "nuggets" and french fries (Baked)

Orange chicken, steamed rice, stir fry broccoli and carrots. Yummy! (chicken will be purchased today, but I don't view this as a total compromise as we do have a freezer full at my mom's house, but I have no way to get there...waaaaay too long to walk! will remember to stock up after church this week!)

1 comment: