Thursday, February 25, 2010

Keeping up...

With the chores! It is really SO much easier when I "keep up" with the housework. I forced myself over the last two days to do the dishes right after eating, and you know what, it was easy! I feel so much more relaxed today as there is no giant pile to contend with while I make lunch. In fact, I almost don't know what to do with myself. Almost. I am doing some research for the book I am writing, and will work on that some more. I also need to "tidy" up the boy's room as they have emptied every shelf, bin and basket in their play. They will be getting chores soon, official ones and a chart even. They are at the age where helping is fun, so I plan to take full advantage of it!

I have been musing over the way we do things lately and have come to this conclusion. Half the food I have in the house I can probably make from scratch! I have the bread recipe down, and I want to do a great deal of canning and preserving this year. I will be on the lookout for a nice food dehydrator...one with actual instructions. My fave thrift store often has them, I will just have to figure out a way to get there!

Here are some things I want to experiment with making myself:
Mustard
Barbecue Sauce
Spaghetti Sauce
sun dried tomatoes
canned tomatoes
Pesto (to be frozen?)
Yogurt (I will succeed, eventually)
cream cheese
cottage cheese
Hot cocoa mix
Pancake Mix
Tortillas
Mom's blackberry jam
Strawberry Jam
Apricot Jam
Canned Peaches
Canned Apricots
Frozen berries, nectarines
Applesauce
Pearsauce
Macaroni and cheese
chicken stock (canned?)
beef stock
Sourdough bread
Sprouting beans/rice ect.


My that is quite a list! I am sure I can handle it tho, as the second trimester of pregnancy for me is always one of great energy. I will be enlisting the help of my mother, and perhaps get my cousin and sister in law in on some of the jam action! Maybe the applesauce too. I have a resource for free peaches, nectarines, plums and apricots. I just need to get ahold of some cheap apples and tomatoes. Guess I have alot of growing to do.

Today's menu
Pancakes and eggs
animal crackers
leftover beans and rice
French onion soup,(or possibly tomato if I get too lazy) toasted cheese sandwich (I broke down and bought bread)

2 comments:

  1. I have froaen homemade pesto before and it works just fine! :)

    ReplyDelete